Contemporary Gender Roles SIG
This OLLI Contemporary Gender Roles Shared Interest Group was started by Deborah Caine to study and explore cultural changes in the roles of men and women in the family and in the workplace and the multiple changes in gender presentation and identity exemplified in the growth of the LGBTQ+ communities; changes not always easily understood by many.
The group has grown over the last several years from three members to two dozen women and is actively seeking more male members who would enjoy the lively monthly discussions on topics of urgent and current interest.
Members volunteer to lead a discussion on a topic of their choice and/or invite an outside speaker and circulate articles from major newspapers, magazines and journals that are relevant to group interests.
The Contemporary Gender Roles group sponsored an OLLI course on the Equal Rights Amendment in 2018 which was well attended.
We meet on Zoom at 2 pm on the third Wednesday of the month.
For more information about this SIG, please contact Ellen Croibier.
Topics for 2023 Contemporary Gender Roles SIG
1. Gender roles in pre-Contact Algonkian & Haudenosaunee cultures as well as family/clan structure presented by Michael Wilcox on January 18.
2. “Women, Power, and Rape Culture” by Bonnie Stabile on February 15.
3. Presentation by John Kidd on the evolution of gendered language from biblical times to now on March 15.
4. Kelly Moffat will present “Breaking the Gender Binary in Fashion” on April 19.
5. Deborah Caine on the “Changing Roles of Men in Today’s Society” for May 17.
6. Incarceration of women who "failed to protect" their children from abusers in their household. A general discussion of the incarceration of women -- which is increasing -- would also be appropriate for the SIG. (Mal Wasserman) June 21.
7. Rhoda Ferat will present the book "Lessons in Chemistry: a Novel " by Bonnie Garmus on July 19.
8. Discussion of book by Lucy Ferriss, “Misconceivers” about a post-Roe America in the late 2020s on August 16.
9. Presentation by Dr. Diane Whitehead on gender dysphoria on September 20.
10. Mary Rogers to present on bell hooks or Audre Lourde on October 18.
11. Topic TBA for Fall 2023 to be presented by Katharine Burnett. (November 15?)
12. Celebration and planning session for 2024. (December)
OLLI: the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Berkshire Community College